CURRENT ISSUES IN PROVINCIAL EDUCATION
- Alberta is presently undergoing a curriculum re-write for all curriculum grades 1-12.
- Of greatest concern is the area of Human Sexuality which historically has been taught from a Catholic-Christian perspective.
- Catholic superintendents have been requesting consultation on the re-write and have asked for permission to teach human sexuality from a Catholic perspective.
- An act to amend the Alberta Bill of Rights to Protect our Children was passed on June 15, 2015. The bill enshrined sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression in the Alberta Bill of rights as protected grounds of discrimination. This concerns the Catholic community through the erosion of local school board autonomy and the blanket refusal to communicate information to parents without an assessment of whats in the child's best interests.
Respect for and Affirmation of Catholic Schools
- Catholic Schools are constitutionally protected and have been educating children in Alberta for 158 years.
- Catholic schools are unique, distinct, welcoming, and inclusive
- Alberta is seeing the emergence of a vocal lobby group advocating for one publicly funded school system that argues for fiscal savings a "civic cohesion".